Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Children's Poetry

*Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face by Jack Prelutsky
I think that children will get a kick out of this. This could be really great to use in
grades K-3.
* Chocolate! Chocolate! by Ronberge
This one I love because it describes the way that my roomie Megan is about Chocolate!

*One Inch Tall by Shel Sliverstein

Shel Silverstein was a poet that I grew up on. His wacky views of the world are such a fun way to introduce young children to poetry. I remember his black and white illustrations so vividly whenever I read his poems. I also recall a time in the first grade, when a teacher was reciting a Silverstein poem that included the h-e-double hockey stick word. She replaced it with "heck" and I instantly corrected her. I explained to her that I had his book at home and that he wouldn't like it if she said his poems wrong. She laughed while telling me that I had a good point.


*The Pig by Roald Dahl

*Where Do All The Teachers Go? By Peter Dixon
This writing style reminds me of Silverstein. I would love to try an write some Silversein type of poetry...maybe for one of our assignments I will...

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Lindsey! I looove Shel Silverstein- this poem is a good one, and I have not read it in so long. It kind of made me think about how much harder things would be if I was small. hmmm...

Ronberge said...

Dear Lindsey,
Thank you for posting a link to my poem and for your comment.
Enjoy your chocolate, but don't forget the moral of my poem...God knows my daughters paid the price!
(even if I paid the bill...)
;-)
Take care
Sincerely
Ronberge